Thursday, August 31, 2023

random thoughts – Day 1,262 – (Thursday) – music night

I had comped tickets to the Lowell Music Series, which landed in my possession after my friends and I had already bought our Lyle Lovett tickets. The complimentary tickets sat in a potato chip magnet clip on the refrigerator door all summer. Some seasons, I want to see everything on the Lowell Summer Music Series schedule, others, I’m scratching my head wondering who half the acts are, and then there is this season, where I forgot to pay attention.

This year, Robert Cray Band caught my eye, and I knew the name from many moons ago. When the schedule had dwindled to just a few shows remaining due to my piss poor planning, it seemed that would be the show to see. But also due to my piss poor planning, I neglected to talk to my friends about it. Suddenly, it was two days before the show, and it was looking like solo attendance territory, but I was okay with that.

The day of the show was also a Physical Therapy day and an in-office day due to being scheduled out of the office on Friday. Being newly pet responsibility free (may Winston rest in peace) meant I didn’t need to attempt crossing the river during rush hour only to cross back again in an hour. After Physical Therapy, where three Dracut fire trucks flew past the office from two different directions during my appointment, I drove downtown to the regular now-crumbling garage conveniently located across the street from the concert site.

Falafel wrap!
I grabbed the official beach/lawn concert blanket from the back of the car and headed to the park. The flamingo and palm tree imprinted blanket marked my real estate grab sort of at center stage, near the sound booth, and in the early rows of the tall lawn chair section.

It was a few blocks to the office, past a hectic scene at the end of the John and Merrimack Streets where the Lowell Fire Department SUV, and three or four ladder and engine trucks sat with lights flashing and firefighters scurrying to and fro. It seemed to be the morning for fire trucks.

At the end of the workday, I lingered at the office well past 5:00, sipping chilled water, enjoying the quiet, and thinking about what to grab for a picnic supper at the concert, which began at 7:30. There are many options available downtown, but the choice made was the delicious falafel from the “Indian – Pizza – Vegan” shop my friends and I visited before the Lyle Lovett show. 

Robert Cray Band, August 31, 2023.
While camped as a solo concert goer in the crowd on the lawn, someone called my name. Seated in the chair to my left, which had been empty, suddenly sat a friend from the board I’m on. She was also there alone, and it was a just luck we had separately grabbed neighboring spots in our separate land grabs. It was great to have a concert buddy.

The show was good. Jeff LeBlanc opened for the headliner, Robert Cray Band. Robert is super polite, saying “Thank you” and “Thank you very much” after every song. The barefoot bass player chewed gum at a rapid pace the entire set. Overall, the band sounded terrific and the night was fun. The only thing I would have done differently would be to wear a heavier jacket than the denim one I had on. I was cold most of the night, even with the flamingo blanket wrapped around my legs.

No comments:

Post a Comment