Wednesday, August 16, 2023

random thoughts – Day 1,247 – (Wednesday) – screwy

Ugh. Dark already at 8:15. I miss the good old days (a month ago? two?) when it was light until nearly 9:00.

Screwy.
Speaking of the old days … on this date in 2012, it was a Thursday (I looked it up), and the screws were removed from the leg that was broken in the spectacular roller derby incident of October 22, 2011. 

The rod hadn’t been a problem and is still in my shin, but the screws were freaking me out. The two screws at the knee seemed like they were trying to burst forth on their own, and I was sure I could see the heads of the two in the ankle through my pale skin. So yeah, out they came. 

Fasting was required the night before, which of course meant that even though I didn’t usually eat anything late at night, that particular night, I was suddenly wanting late night snacks. The next day it was off to the surgeon.

Here are the odd parts – I don’t remember who drove me to the doctor or how I got back home, nor do I recall if the procedure was at the surgeon's office near the hospital or at the hospital. According to the Facebook post made later that day, the nap during the procedure was nice. 

Recovering with my beloved boys.
After the ordeal, I was swaddled in gauze and ace bandages, then I was back home, parked on the couch with my leg propped up on pillows and my beloved Canine Overlords at my side. I remember later being glad to have taken the next day off from work because I almost didn't, and the whole thing was a bigger production than anticipated and it wiped me out. 

A plastic container holding the four shockingly long screws came with me after the removal. The container and contents now live in some forgotten place in the house, having made the journey with me from Tennessee. For what purpose, I don’t know. Just part of the collection of random and sometimes gross oddities.

No comments:

Post a Comment