Saturday, August 5, 2023

random thoughts – Day 1,236 – (Saturday) – adventuring

Mom and I went adventuring. We met at a furniture and home goods consignment shop in Leominster that we like and wandered the aisles of merchandise. The classic Mom observations were in force, with “hmmmm, I can see why someone would want to get rid of this.” There was no argument – there was a lot of merchandise that fit that categorization. We saved a ton of money by buying nothing.

The consignment store was followed by a visit to the Habitat ReStore. There were some dressers I would have liked if I had the space in the house. There was a comical dining “set” for $99, comprised of a decent looking wood dining table with carved legs and three wood folding chairs that looked like they came from some community center basement. 

The shopping and mockery of merchandise built up an appetite, so lunch was the next stop. We ran through the list of nearby places and settled on Olive Garden for soup and salad. I tried the pasta fagiole, which everyone in my family except me loved when I was a kid. It had been decades since the last time I had it and I wondered if I still hated it. I can’t figure out why I didn’t like it as a kid, because I like all the ingredients, but I had the same issue with beef stew and shepherd’s pie. It turns out I no longer hate pasta fagiole. It was good, not in the “I can’t wait to have that again” way, but solidly in the “I’d eat that again” category.

Across the parking lot from Olive Garden sits Kohls, which became the next stop. Once upon a time, Kohls offered solutions to my every wardrobe need. Sadly, this is no longer the case. Unless I suddenly become a fitness worker or wealthy athleisure type, I'm doomed because there is not a lot of office wear any more. My favorite Apt 9 elbow length tee shirts are a memory, because there is no more Apt 9 line. So sad.

Market Basket was visited. It’s as if the car just auto-pilots itself into the parking lot whenever I’m on Fletcher Street. There was no list, just browsing. 

Lobster roll.
The deli had my beloved discounted cheese ends, packaged cold cooked whole lobsters, and rolls. There were discounted carrot cakes at the bakery, and one landed in the cart. So weird how this happens.

Supper was a lobster roll. Dessert was carrot cake. Later, I went to the kitchen for a glass of ice water and accidentally came back with another piece of cake. Oops. 


No comments:

Post a Comment