Tuesday, August 8, 2023

random thoughts – Day 1,239 – (Tuesday) – not thursday

Evening primrose finally flowering.
Working in the office on Monday, which is usually a remote day, had me confused on Tuesday. It kept feeling like a Thursday, which is really going to stink when Wednesday doesn't turn out to be Friday. 

The evening primrose that runs along the deck and that I recall blooming in July in past years, is just beginning to flower now, which is confusing me on the month. It really doesn’t take much to derail me lately.

There was Physical Torture at 7:30 this morning. I got there early and shortly after I arrived, it began to rain really hard, so that worked out pretty well. I was glad to be inside, even if it was for the torture session. Surprisingly, it didn’t hurt nearly as much as the previous appointments.

When the torturer asked how it felt today and I said, “It hurt the least of any days so far,” she got a big, bright smile. Then she said, “That means I can give you more next time!” The tone was all chirpy and cheerful, but it gave me an ominous chill.

The morning downpour was short-lived and by the time I was done PT, it had stopped raining. It resumed a couple times later in the day. Winston slept on the office rug all day, except when he was sleeping in the living room. He seems much better today. 

After work, the gym parking lot was crowded, but the place is huge, so it didn’t feel that crowded inside.  All five recumbent bikes were available, yet, I ended up on the weird one that doesn’t log the heart rate. I thought I set it to Level 3 on the hill program, but it took an unusually long time to log any miles. Usually, after 30 minutes plus the cooldown, the distance shows at more than six miles. Tonight, it was around three miles, after steadily pedaling like crazy the whole time. The person who sat on the bike next to me after I was ten minutes in, pedaled at half the speed I was doing and their distance was logging twice what mine was. Not that I was taking notes or anything.

Brown Bunny under
 the leaves in the rain.
There was a trip to Market Basket after the gym, and as I left for home, the clouds had gathered, dark and heavy. A couple of the smaller ones looked like charcoal briquets suspended over the store. When I got home, the sky was brighter and bluer beyond The BungaLowell, but it wasn’t long before it got dark and the rain fell again. 

Brown Bunny was out front, sheltering under the arch formed by the leaves of two clumps of irises. He stayed there for quite a while after the rain stopped, until it was too dark for me to see him any longer. 


No comments:

Post a Comment