Saturday, March 18, 2023

random thoughts – Day 1,096 – (Saturday) travel planning

The trip to Rome was booked in early October for travel from March 11 to 18, which was reportedly off-peak. There were grand plans after pushing the buttons to reserve the flights and hotel. I would walk for 30 minutes every day at lunch to prepare for a week of walking around as a tourist. I would eat better, in order to lose a couple pounds and fit into my clothes. I would learn some Italian, especially related to coffee and food. I would research attractions.

The months slipped by, and suddenly it was February and I had done none of the things. No walking had taken place, except for the meager quarter-mile to and from the office and garage three times a week. No mindful eating had occurred and when the battery died on the scale, it wasn’t replaced. Italian lessons on Duolingo hadn’t begun until early February. Euros were finally ordered two weeks before the trip when the rate was less favorable than in October when I meant to do it. 

The bags were finally packed.

There were trip things that did happen. TSA pre-check was applied for and a Known Traveler Number issued. Several pairs of shoes were bought, but then never worn for a break-in period to avoid being hobbled and blistered on vacation. New pants and jeans were bought. A camera was borrowed from a friend. The suitcases were dug out from the storage in the eaves. A dog sitter was found for Winston and chicken for a week’s worth of his meals was chopped and frozen.

Lists were made on paper and scattered all over the house. Wardrobe lists. Toiletry lists. Winston’s packing list for doggy boarding. Lists were made in the head and then forgotten. Lists on sticky notes, on lined notepaper, on the reverse side of grocery lists.

Suddenly, it was time to pack, which was not fun, but it never is. I hadn't let myself be excited about traveling because five months between booking and going was a lot of time for things to go sideways with COVID and variants and flu and RSV floating around. 

Two weeks before departure, as the work calendar was checked for deadlines, I realized the trip was now just two weeks away. That's when the panic set in. I hadn't been on a vacation since 2017 when I went to Jamaica, and packing for a warm weather beach trip is different than an end of winter city trip. 


No comments:

Post a Comment