Wednesday, March 1, 2023

random truths – Day 1,079 (Wednesday) – progress

The morning routine without the coffee maker had another slightly rugged start. The company is sending a replacement funnel, but until it arrives, it feels like being lost in the woods. I fumbled through the morning routine in a fog and then couldn’t remember if I gave Winston his insulin. Again. The second time in a few weeks.

The car was coated in ice and snow and the windshield looked like textured glass. I nearly wiped out on some very slick ice at the end of the driveway while clearing snow off the hood of the car. It was quite the waker-upper. 

On the walk from the garage to the office, a 20-ounce coffee was grabbed from The Coffee Mill. It really helped kick start things, and from then on, things fired on all cylinders. The lengthy to-do list that keeps receiving additions was no match for me and that coffee.

At the start of the day, four list items were flagged as “F/U,” shorthand for “follow up.” Sometimes, depending upon the number of times that follow up has been already been conducted without results, it may take on tones of the other, more colorful “eff you.” Luckily, this is rare.

Two follow ups yielded answers that allow me to proceed full steam ahead. One inquiry yielded an answer of “tomorrow,” which was great, because it meant I didn’t need to think about it again until then. One follow up didn’t happen because I didn’t make time to send the email asking about it.

Stock photos were searched and selected. Copy was tweaked. Project info went to the graphics guru for design or edits. Words went to the digital goddess for a web page layout. Quote requests went out. Layouts came back and one project moved into the formal review process. Progress is a great feeling.

There was one moment of panic when I thought I somehow missed a meeting. It turned out I read my calendar wrong and it wasn’t for a couple more hours.  

Back at home, poor Winston was in a drenched diaper band and his water bowl was empty, signs that I had, indeed forgotten his insulin in the morning. When I filled the bowl, he drank about half of it right away, then barfed water on the floor. Poor guy. 

After picking through his dinner, he sat and silently begged for some of mine, then napped. He probably feels like crap from the insulin thing, and I feel like crap for putting him through it.

No comments:

Post a Comment