Friday, March 24, 2023

random thoughts – Day 1,102 – (Friday) – weeks and rest

The work week was short due to being sick at the start of it, but it was still exhausting. Monday had lots of sleep, but I was sick and feverish, so it wasn’t quite the same as lounging about. The weekend is pretty booked, so it will be another week before there is a potential chance to sleep late.

This is how time is measured now, as an older adult. The week is counted down with “in three days I can sleep late …” Half the time I remember something that requires me to be up early on Saturday and it becomes “maybe next week I can sleep late” and “when is our next holiday?” (not until May).

The best substitute so far is going to bed early. At age 20, 30, even 40, I thought sleeping was a waste of time, but now it’s my favorite activity. How I managed to stay awake on vacation is a complete mystery to me.

That last Rome pizza and Aperol Spritz.
A week ago was our last day in Rome. My friends went to the Coliseum in the morning for a tour, but I needed a break from the ever present crowds and stayed behind. I packed and relaxed in my room until 10:00, then went out for a walk and to shop. That afternoon, we had a tour reservation at The Vatican, then ate dinner. The night had my last Rome pizza – a vegetarian with grilled eggplant, zucchini, and peppers that was delicious but I couldn’t finish it. My last Aperol Spritz in Rome. I was too full for dessert. Tonight's supper was delivery pizza, which was good, but not a Roma pizza. 

And just like that, the week was over and we’d be getting up early to head to the airport and back to regular daily life, routines, and cooking and cleaning for ourselves. At least it’s less crowded in Massachusetts everyday life compared to the Roman holiday. I need to go back for another month (or forever) just to eat. 

No comments:

Post a Comment