Wednesday, September 30, 2026

random thoughts – Day 2,388 (Wednesday) – prepping projects

The scrap bins.
With nothing on the calendar for the morning I was free to make it up as it went along (like many days, because life is good). I decided to browse the containers of scrap glass and cut some pieces for new patterns for the next time I’m in the glass studio.

It had been years since I last looked in the scrap bins. More precisely, the “bins” are two frozen mini éclair containers, one cardboard box, and one rectangle Rubbermaid container that live on the future cutting table in the future craft room at the house. The bins have existed for nearly 20 years since the last time I worked in glass. They contain a variety of colored, patterned, and clear glass. 

While looking for pieces that would have minimal cutting for the patterns, I discovered a trove of scrap already clean-cut in rectangles, triangles, and squares. These were set aside for a project that could be arranged to require no cutting or grinding.

Purple project number one,
cut and ready for grinding.
During the cutting of glass for the second project, there was an abnormal of bloodletting. I don’t usually get cut working with glass, but today was a different story. There were several tiny nicks but the many dots of blood on the pattern paper, the newspaper covering the table, and the glass made it look worse. 

Partly because of the cuts, and partly because it was a good stopping point, it was decided to stop when the pieces were rough cut for the second project. The glass for each was set into a plastic bag, ready for grinding and assembly. And it was good.

No comments:

Post a Comment