Friday, September 18, 2026

random thoughts – Day 2,378 (Friday) – farmers' market

Westminster Farmers' Market.
I woke up this morning thinking it was Saturday. I was about to call Mom to see what she was up to, but then I remembered it’s Friday and she usually has plans on Friday. And then I forgot the day again. This went back and forth until mid-morning and I was finally fully caffeinated and had the day straight and was able to proceed.

Since May when I learned of it, I have intended (in general) to attend the Westminster Farmers’ Market. It’s held on Fridays from 3:00 to 6:00 and features a musical act along with the produce sellers and other vendors. Many weeks I forgot, and in some of those cases, when I remembered, it was too close to the closing time to bother. Some weeks I reconsidered because I didn’t like the weather. Some weeks I was just too lazy.

This afternoon, still cognizant it was Friday, at 3:15 I remembered about the Farmers’ Market. I sprang to action, meaning I put on shoes, grabbed the keys and phone, and left the house. It was a gorgeous day for an outdoor market – sunny and warm, but not too hot.

The market is on the town common which is large and sprawling. Tents shaded vendors selling local fruit wines and mead, art work, baked goods, local honey, granola, cut flowers, vegetables, knife sets, alpaca socks and gloves with alpacas for petting and feeding, and an ice cream truck. Regional band Chuck and Mud played on the gazebo. A cornhole game had some well behaved children tossing bean bags towards the boards painted with an ear of corn.

Across from the Farmers' Market.
Across the street from the common a stone wall ran along the edge of a yard, and between the giant pine trees sat a swing and a view of nearby Mount Wachusett. It was the perfect New England setting for a Hallmark Movie. If I lived in the fantasy of rom-coms, I might have expected to meet a handsome local as we both reached for the same ear of corn, pair of socks, or loaf of bread, but I don’t live there (most of the time) and that did not happen. Despite the absence of a movie worthy cute-meet, it was still a lovely event. It runs for another three weeks, so maybe next week.

No comments:

Post a Comment