 |
| Copper foiled heart. |
My second of three classes in the copper foil technique developed
by Louis Comfort Tiffany and his Tiffany Studio was today. I learned the step
of applying the copper foil to each glass piece, and then soldering the pieces
together to finish the piece started last week. It’s a heart rendered in various textures of clear glass.
The foil process was fun and nowhere near as intimidating or
dreadful as I thought it was during my disastrous previous attempt, but back then, I was
winging it on my own. This time, I have the benefit of an experienced
instructor who taught me today how to smooth the foil and keep the
solder lines smooth, and it went a million times better.
 |
| Plans for future glasswork. |
There was enough time left in today’s session to choose
another template, select glass from the scrap bins, cut the pieces and do an
initial grind to smooth the edges. This all went much quicker than last week
because the process was fresh in my mind. Next week, I’ll do a final fit on the
new piece, apply the copper foil, and solder the piece.
After I got home, a few new heart patterns were drafted for future
pieces. These will include bevels because I love bevels, and there are still quite
a lot of them left from my Tennessee stained glass production frenzy.
No comments:
Post a Comment