Saturday, September 5, 2026

random thoughts – Day 2,365 (Saturday) – kiki steps

Bit by bit, Kiki has dropped her guard. She no longer hides when I enter a room she is in. She will let me pet her when she’s camped out on my bed and I pass through the bedroom, when before, she would slink off the bed and hide under it.

Kiki strikes her favorite pose.
She can be very vocal, especially when the staff has committed an egregious error.  The sudden onslaught of meowing gets me up and wandering the house to see what the problem is, and twice it has been an empty water bowl. The problem is fixed and she is congratulated for her superior communication skills.

At bedtime, Kiki follows me into the bathroom. She used to stop at the threshold, let out a meow, and retreat to the bedroom, but now she will cautiously step into the bathroom before letting out a meow and retreating. The ritual is my nightly reminder that the Temptations Treats are kept in the bathroom closet and she is hand fed treats every night before bed, and excuse me ma’am, the treats seem to be a bit tardy.

Kiki has always allowed me to pet her with one hand. If the second hand appeared, she would slip away from me and bolt from the scene. Lately, she has allowed to touch her with both hands and I am enjoying the newly-earned privilege. I’m still holding back and avoiding the step I really want, which is to pick her up and hold her. I don’t want to move too soon and violate her trust. When I first adopted her, the foster human warned me she hated to be picked up, so it’s definitely a go slow, proceed with caution situation.

Kiki also seems to be working on a potential modeling career. Her favorite pose is to lift one hind leg then leave it extended for some random stretch of time, almost as if she forgot it was raised or is expecting a high five. While she holds her pose, I admire her pretty little toe beans and often screw up several attempts to get her picture due to low light and focusing issues or poor composition cropping off her ears or tail. Once in a while the planets align and I get the photo I wanted.  

No comments:

Post a Comment