Thursday, September 10, 2026

random thoughts – Day 2,370 (Thursday) – shopping and playing

Thursday often means time spent with Mom and Sis and today, we went shopping. Sis hoped that Ocean State Job Lot would have a few specific things she needed and we set out.

The store was a bit chaotic. U-boats loaded with products or in some cases, empty boxes, clogged several aisles, which are already a bit narrow. I was nearly run over by the same woman and her shopping cart at least three times. There seemed to be an abundance of manager-level types scurrying around. A woman sat atop a tall ladder organizing boxes on the top shelf and explained to a guy standing at the bottom that the coffee would be separated by decaf and caffeinated. I was standing in an aisle nearby and overheard this conversation between colleagues.

Guy: I like your shirt. (From where I was standing in, the back of it seemed to be a plain dark blue short sleeved tee shirt.)

Gal: Thanks! I got it at TJ Max. Or maybe it was Marshall’s. I like it a lot. It’s not too clingy. I sweat a lot, like a LOT, and I hate it when my shirt sticks to me.

Okay, then. 

As the coffee was being stacked nearly to the ceiling, another managerial type came around the corner quickly and nearly crashed into me and a worker. At the end of another aisle near the doors to the stockroom, a guy wrestled with a Ty branded round tiered shelf display. He tried to nudge a board with wheels on it under the fixture and it wasn’t going well. I was trapped in the aisle so I tried to find the trail mix I like. The fixture was successfully relocated, but the trail mix wasn’t found.

The pause while trapped in various locations by abandoned shopping carts and retail tools was a nice little break for me. I had been busy tidying merchandise in various aisles while searching for the things I wanted. The toothpaste was messy. The socks were all mixed up. The office supplies looked like a cyclone tore through (I fixed them). The canvas panels were disorganized and I had to sort them in my quest for the smallest canvases available (none suitable found). 

Shut the Box.
Straightening store merchandise seems to be the form of volunteer work to which I am naturally suited. I did the same thing in the crafts department at WalMart yesterday, tidying the stencils, the paints, and all the little wooden shapes and letters for craft projects, because one empty bin had an image of a paw and I wanted to find said paw. Instead, I found crown, bird, and gnome shapes scattered everywhere and got them set back where they belonged. I should probably get myself a paying gig with an employee discount.

After the shopping, we couldn’t figure out what to do next, so we went back to Mom’s. I grabbed the new Shut the Box game from my house and we played that for a while. We were devising ways to turn it into a gambling game, and then we read the pamphlet in the box and learned it’s a traditional pub game often played for money so we were clearly on the trad-pub track. Today was considered our practice run, and the next time we may be playing for cash.

No comments:

Post a Comment