 |
| Stuff coming off the house. |
It was the usual lounge about on the couch drinking coffee
morning, when, at 8:50, a white van pulled into the driveway and I launched
myself into the bedroom to change out of pajamas and into jeans and a sweater.
Years of quick ballet costume and fashion show changes has sometimes come in
handy. The van had backed out and left, but a shiny silver pickup truck was
parked out front. The van returned a couple minutes later with the contractor
and his colleague, on site to begin the preliminary siding work and I was glad
I was dressed.
I stepped outside for a quick touch base. It wasn't long before the old shutters, trim material, and skirting had been removed and stacked in the back yard. Later, while
checking on the progress, I saw a bunch of white wood flower bed edging in
the crawlspace that will be perfect for the flower bed planned for the side of the
house. I asked the guys to pull it out and set it near the shed. I’ll clean it
up and maybe paint it, then store it in the shed until spring. There may not be
enough time to set a flower bed after the siding is completed, but I’ll be
ready next spring. I'm also glad I didn't find any edging when I was shopping for it earlier.
 |
American chop suey with provolone. |
When I got to thinking about food I decided to make American
Chop Suey, one of my favorite dishes going back to childhood. There was extra cooked
macaroni left from the macaroni and cheese bake of the other day so one step
was already done. After the green pepper and onion were chopped and cooking, I
realized the can of diced tomatoes believed to be in the pantry didn’t actually
exist, but there was a jar of sauce. Later, I discovered all the sliced American
cheese had been used in the mac and cheese and there was none to break up to
top the stuff on my plate like I did when I was a kid. The sauce was bit thick
and the provolone cheese I used on top wasn’t correct, so it wasn’t exactly
like the memory of Mom’s American chop suey, but it still tasted pretty good.
The afternoon included painting several 4-inch by 4-inch
canvases black. Two are for a specific project, but it seemed wise to prep some
extras while I was at it. I printed one of my favorite Kiki photos and will
mount it tomorrow. Another one will feature a photo of Moose and Winston looking
adorable.
No comments:
Post a Comment