Sunday, August 30, 2026

random thoughts – Day 2,359 (Sunday) – finishing and starting

Sewing finished.
After a fermentation period of several weeks, Operation Finish Mom’s Sewing Projects began today. The first project, chosen weeks ago, was based on the criteria of quick and easy. It was a cotton vee neck top which needed one sleeve stitched in and a hem on the bottom edge. It had been in a box with fabric for an unknown number of years and has the lightly dusty “been in storage” scent to it.

The sleeve was pinned in earlier in the week. Finishing it wasn’t specifically on today’s list (nothing was on the list), but suddenly, I was off the couch and in the spare room fetching the sewing machine and setting it up on the dining table. The sleeve was stitched. The narrow hem was sewn. The top was tossed into the laundry. I didn’t try it on so I don’t even know if it fits me, but it fit the sewing mannequin. 

Propelled by the satisfaction of completion, the next project was retrieved. After rummaging through a bin and a bag, the purple and gold brocade skirt, bought at Salvation Army several months ago was found. The intention for this one is to remake it into a belly dance belt and it was brought to the sofa along with the seam ripper and thread clippers.

The zipper and waistband were removed and the pleats unstitched, and then the project was set aside for the day. The basic prep work was accomplished and the next steps require a pattern, which depends on the specific design chosen.

There is currently no design chosen from several options available. The shape could be pointed or curved. There could be multiple sections connected with D Rings.  The belt could fasten in one or more places with ties, snaps, hooks, or even buckles. There are also embellishments to consider, because beaded edging is often sewn on in the first steps, before the lining. And I was becoming preoccupied elsewhere.

Ellison Barber on Allegedly.
The TV had been turned on during the skirt disassembly step, mostly for the noise company. I was thinking of stand-up comedy, but an interesting show popped up in the Netflix home page lineup. It was Allegedly, a true crime series podcast with Ellison Barber and various guests. The case in the first episode is one I started watching a documentary series about last night (The Death of the Pastor's Wife). 

I’ve heard of many of the cases covered in the episodes and the series is fascinating. The dance belt design can wait until morning. I’m sucked into this show right now.

No comments:

Post a Comment