Monday, August 17, 2026

random thoughts – Day 2,346 (Monday) – more real turkeys

Narcissus!
Real Turkeys of South Gardner returned with new episodes today. The afternoon matinee featured fast moving adult females on Sunrise Lane accompanied by several equally fleet footed younger birds that Mom and I call “the teenagers” because they are larger than the youngest birds, but not as large as the adults. This looked like a different flock than the one I usually see with the two hens, one adolescent, and four littles.

The group hustled across from my side of the street to the other as if they were in a race and were soon hidden by shrubs and fencing. They moved too fast to get them all in a photo. One of the adults was walking a bit off, and she may be the hen that had the injured foot last year. If it is her, she’s made great improvement. If it isn’t her, what’s up with the lame hens?

Silly bunny.
Later, over on Champagne Road, the gang of four toms seemed to be missing a member. Two toms were walking on the roof of the tan house. Narcissus was across the street making love to his reflection in the chrome on the back of the Tacoma. I was imagining the soft turkey noises I heard were the fowl equivalent of "dang, you are one handsome dude, I can't take my eyes off you." Maybe the toms rotate the chrome time and it isn't always the same one. I wonder if the vehicle owner is aware of the evening admiration ritual and chrome pecking. The fourth tom was nowhere in sight. I hope he’s okay. Maybe he was on the far side of the roof.

A few houses up the street, a bunny dined from the greenery growing in the long crack in a longer driveway. There was lawn on either side of the driveway, so it was amusing seeing it sitting on the pavement eating from a skinny strip of grass.

It's darker earlier now and as I passed the houses, images from giant TVs could be seen from the street. My TV looks like a postage stamp compared to some of the ones I saw, but I am unbothered. I have no desire for a TV screen so large someone on the street could also watch.

No comments:

Post a Comment