Monday, August 24, 2026

random thoughts – Day 2,353 (Monday) – light panels and turkeys

Plastic light panel, ca 1989.
The sun was shining and all was well. At least, until I tried to actually do anything. For the past year, I have intended to remove the textured plastic covers from the ceiling lights in the kitchen and bathroom to clean them. Periodically, over that year, I have tried to figure out how to release them from the frames to facilitate the cleaning. Today, I tried again. Just like before, it didn’t go well.

There are two tiny levers on each frame. I stood on the stepstool and tried to pry the miniscule tab out with the file from a nail clipper. It was a total failure in the bathroom and the tabs wouldn't budge. On one of the kitchen fixtures, the levers actually move and I got them swiveled out. And then nothing happened. I still couldn’t figure out how to get the plastic sheet out. 

They are all yellowed and very crispy and are very likely the original 1989 sheets of plastic. If I break it, how will I replace it? I don’t even know what it’s called or where to find it. 

Turkey dinner party out back.
The female turkeys and the younglings paid two visits to my backyard today. I was surprised on the morning visit. I was out by the recycle and trash bins and the turkeys suddenly appeared from behind the shed. Just a few feet separated us as they sauntered by, and because all I was doing was putting a jar in the bin, I didn’t have my phone and missed the best chance for close-up turkey photos.

During the evening dinner party visit, I happened to be at the kitchen sink and they appeared. One clever little poult wiggled itself through a space in the wire fencing around the squash, basil, and lavender plants and feasted on the ground in peace and solitude while the other birds headed to the far side of the yard. 

No comments:

Post a Comment