Tuesday, August 11, 2026

random thoughts – Day 2,340 (Tuesday) – eggs and containers

Pretty colored egg shells.
A friend gave me a box of 16 fresh eggs the other day with shells in pretty shades of tan, pale green, and white. Today, I used half of them to make baked egg and cheese with broccoli and tomatoes.

Fresh eggs laid just a couple days ago crack so much easier than grocery store eggs laid who knows when and trucked in from who knows where. And they are so delicious. 

At least half of the transformed into a baked dish product will be set into containers and frozen, ready for the next cycle of I’m hungry, I don’t feel like cooking, and I need food now. At those times, the lifeline to sanity is usually a plastic container of deliciousness from the freezer. Within three to five minutes (depending upon contents) the frozen block has been returned to a hot and ready-to-eat state and peace settles over the land. It’s a wonderous thing.

Eggs transformed.
Most of my current freezer containers are reusable black takeout containers that were sent home with me from someone else’s home after a dinner. Once upon a time, my containers were fashionable and colorful collections of Tupperware, invented by Earl Tupper in nearby Leominster, MA. To some degree, the colors kept up with fashion and decorating trends. Mom’s Tupperware pieces, bought in the 1970s, were collections in olive, tan, orange, and gold and coordinated with our Corelle dinnerware in Spring Blossom Green (aka Crazy Daisy).

My Tupperware, from the 1980s, was a disjointed mishmash of the 70s sunset colors and 80s blue, gray, and mauve. During a divorce, we split up the Tupperware, even though I was the one who endured the sales parties at the homes of colleagues and paid for the stuff. Like with everything else I walked away from, I told myself it was a small price to pay to be free. I got two of the square sandwich keepers with aqua lids, he got the other two. We split up the drinking tumblers, the hamburger patty holders, and the storage sets. I still have some of it, all these decades later. None of them are the correct size for the rectangles of my baked egg and cheese, but the recently acquired take away containers are.

No comments:

Post a Comment