My birthday has been dealt with in a number of ways over the years. My family has always acknowledged birthdays, no matter what. When we were little, my brother’s birthday (July) and mine (August) were celebrated together with a family party, often on a Sunday afternoon at Mummu’s apartment, with cousins from Mom’s side.
Significant birthdays got some drama. When I turned 13, I was visiting at Mummu’s until Mom said it was time to come home. It felt weird that I was at Mummu’s and I couldn’t just go home, but once home, I knew why. When someone finally picked me up, there was a surprise party and a ten-speed bike that was assembled while I was at Mummu’s.
My Sweet 16 fell on Friday the 13th. The plan was
a pool party at our house and painting “The Rock” at the granite quarry where, in a tradition started in 1936, the senior class would traditionally paint their graduating year in red and white paint on the granite face of the big hill facing town. My friends
and I would start our junior year that fall, so it was essentially an act of
sabotage to go paint our year.
My parents weren’t fans of the rock painting idea, but
somehow caved and bought some red paint for the job. My friends came over.
There was a huge thunderstorm and my party became an indoor event with Dad, who was a
freelance DJ, playing all the hit music in our dining room.
When I was 30, another surprise party was planned. At the
time, X1 and I lived around the corner from Mom and the house I grew up in. X1
and I shared an office in the house and he used the big desk for work stuff, I
used a smaller table for sewing. Usually, the only thing on the top of the very tidy desk
was a phone and a calendar. On the weekend before my weekday birthday he had
written “surp party” on the calendar which, of course, I saw. I finally asked if it was
required I act surprised. It was supposed to be a cookout at Mom’s, but it
poured and became another indoor house party.
![]() |
| Cake and ice cream, round two. |
Today’s weather was sunny and warm and thunderstorm free. We decided on lunch at Gardner Ale
House and then walking around downtown a bit, followed by cake and ice cream
and Yahtzee at Mom’s. (Later, for supper, I had a second round of cake and ice cream.)
The Ale House has a couple non-meat menu items which is twice
as many as some places so I was afforded the luxury of being torn between the
veggie burger and a veggie quinoa bowl instead of settling for the lone item on
menus elsewhere. Mom had a burger, Sis had a roast beef sandwich, and everyone was happy with their food.
![]() |
| New tree in the kitchen. |
I bought a tree of life hanging piece with bells and now I
have a lot bordering on possibly too much stuff hanging in the kitchen. We’ll
see. Things can easily be moved.
In other exciting news – turkeys of all ages and genders paraded through the yard this morning. Also, there may be bear poop in my front yard (discovered this evening on a walkabout). Earlier in the summer there was definitely some in the back yard. Today’s suspicious material looks the same but is smaller.


No comments:
Post a Comment