 |
| Two turkeys and a bunny. |
Weeks of evening walks have revealed the patterns of the neighborhood.
Between six and seven in the evening, the four male turkeys congregate in the
yards two streets over from mine. The last few times I’ve seen them has been in
the same section of the street. They are usually in a cluster, pausing in a
yard, before moving on to the next one, but tonight, there were only three of
them clustered in a yard.
As the three began to spread out across the yard, I noticed
a little brown bunny, frozen still under a bush in the same yard, as if in a
game of hide and seek. I wondered what would happen if the turkeys spotted the bunny
or vice versa.
One time last year, a cat was lounging under a bush in my back
yard along with a group of turkeys and none seemed bothered by the presence of
the others and I am curious if the bunnies and turkeys share the same
camaraderie.
 |
| The turkey and the chrome. |
I kept walking and finally spotted the fourth turkey in a driveway
across the street from the rest, near the back of a silver-gray Tacoma. It
seemed to be admiring itself in the shiny chrome. It took a step or two away,
then returned to the chrome corner. As I got closer, it pecked its reflection
in the chrome. There were a couple more sidesteps and pauses at the reflection
and then it sauntered off, away from me and towards the direction of its friends.
Meanwhile, the other three turkeys had gathered on a hill
across the street and seemed to be watching the whole show. It seems, even in
the turkey social world, there is always that one weird friend.
No comments:
Post a Comment