Friday, July 5, 2024

random thoughts – Day 1,570 – (Friday) – blooms and booms

Hydrangea at
Saint Anne's.
The mild disorientation of Thursday not-Saturday was followed by the slightly weird feeling of Friday not-Monday. Hopefully after the weekend Monday really-Monday will feel right again and the passage of time of the five-day workweek will feel back on track.

The walk from the garage included a view of the gorgeous hydrangea at Saint Anne's Episcopal. Based on the many photos shared on Facebook recently, hydrangeas are having a brilliant season this year. Or maybe they always do and I have neglected to notice. It any event, the beautiful blooms are making me want to plant some, but I can't think of where one could fit in the yard. 

It was the second in-office day and the second day I forgot to grab some breakfast. On Wednesday I was able to get a blueberry breakfast protein bar thing from the Coffee Mill, but today they were closed. The emergency food in the desk has been depleted and I keep forgetting to bring in more breakfast bars. Oops.

Pasta salad for breakfast-lunch.
After a semi-valiant effort to tough it out and survive until lunchtime, I caved. The salad greens and container of pasta salad brought from home were retrieved from the office fridge and 10:40 a.m. was declared lunchtime at my desk. There are a lot of kind of dumb laws floating around, but I’m pretty sure there are none about what time of day things can be eaten. If there are, well, so what. One of the best benefits of being a so-called adult is eating whatever whenever.

Early lunch was a success. It happened before there was the chance to become full-blown hangry. I did not expire from hunger. No colleagues were injured. Performance reviews should include points for such proactive, strategic thinking.

Four cheese grilled
deliciousness.
After work, there was a visit with a couple colleagues to Thirsty First. There, my supper of choice was a basket of comfort in the form of a delicious four cheese grilled cheese sandwich served with chips and baby gherkins that weren’t sweet like I expected, but were dill instead. The four cheese grilled cheese definitely needs to become part of the evening food rotation. 

The rain, initially forecast to begin in the afternoon, then at 5:00 and then later, began to fall around 7:00. By the time I reached the parking garage it was coming down in large steady splats. It wasn’t a refreshing shower, and the air was thick and heavy with humidity.

Later, as I sat on the couch with a huge glass of ice water, a show playing on Netflix (The Bureau of Magical Things), and Kiki camped out behind the couch, thunder rumbled in the distance. It grew louder and closer and eventually moved on through the area. The weather app is showing potential for more rain and storms overnight. During the interlude, the neighborhood is being subjected to the latest edition of random amateur home fireworks displays. 

I would love to reach the level of financial comfort that would allow for spending money on something that is intended to be destroyed. I’m not saying I would buy fireworks if I had more money, I just wonder what it feels like to be comfortable enough with cash flow that essentially lighting it on fire wouldn’t be a concern. Maybe someday.

No comments:

Post a Comment