Wednesday, July 17, 2024

random thoughts – Day 1,582 – (Wednesday) – mid-week madness

Building gets
a touch up.
Another hot day from the start, and the sun was blazing in a cloudless blue sky as I arrived at the office-office. The sidewalk was closed off outside the bank. Within the perimeter of the chain link fence the bucket lift thing that was outside our window last Friday extended upwards and a worker attended to the trim on the front of the building. 

Later, a colleague and I took a quick walk across the parking lot to The Coffee Mill. I was glad to have a witness to help me figure out if my new orange glasses with the transition lenses actually transition to the dark sunglasses I expected and thought I paid for. The time outside was brief and the lenses changed a bit, but not to full dark and maybe it wasn’t enough time.

The rest of the day I never left the 4th floor suite or even looked out the window. It was butt in the seat and nose to the proverbial grindstone for most of the day. There were edits to be made to Constant Contact campaign layouts, dividend news to post on the website, ads to deliver, and mysteries to decipher with a couple projects.

When 5:00 arrived, it was a surprise, not only that the workday was done but also that it had become gloomy outside. The world beyond the office wasn’t the usual July bright and sunny event. It seemed clear that the forecasts were correct and we were moving towards another rain event.

Filming underway.
The walk to the garage featured a trio of guys on the sidewalk near the bank, near the temporary fencing that closed off the sidewalk. They were clad in long tabards that clashed with the fresh looking athletic shoes. I've seen them in that spot on the sidewalk several times, but never been close enough to find out what it's about.

Tonight, one guy stood behind a tripod, seeming to film the other two. At least one of them was trying to talk over the sound of the traffic passing by. A sign posted to a sandwich board featured a face with horns and wording that I couldn't read from across the street. If the sidewalk closure and fencing hadn't forced me to cross the street, (and if I wasn't such an avid rule follower), I would have been close enough to read the sign.

Half a block further, as I paused to take a picture of one of the many brick buildings downtown, three younglings on bikes rode into the frame. I paused to let them pass, and they smiled and did the young people's hand things and wanted to be in the picture so I took it, realizing they'll never see it.

Around 7:15 the evening’s weather performance was building with thunder, darker clouds, trees thrashing wildly in the wind, and Kiki tucked in behind the couch. The rain arrived enthusiastically, slamming all sides of the house at once. Every window was splattered with rain. As I stood near the kitchen window, a pop-up canopy launched itself from one neighbor’s yard over a six-foot fence and landed in another neighbor’s yard in an impressive display of aeronautics. Somehow, the chairs on my deck remained in place. The rain eventually let up, and as a gift for the inconvenience, the temperature was a refreshing 71 degrees.

No comments:

Post a Comment