Wednesday, January 31, 2024

random thoughts – Day 1,415 – (Wednesday) – booking it

And just like that, January is over. Although, we weren’t really that lucky, and it wasn’t done just like that. It was a month that felt about as long as a year, until the last couple days when it oddly and suddenly felt like it had flown by. So weird.

At work, we have launched from busy into busier. Those are the only two speeds we seem to operate at. The length of the to-do list at my desk seems to double daily and today I was hustling. Spreadsheets, word documents, ad copy, layout PDFs, edits, website article review and posting, emails, meetings. Oy. It was both exhausting and exhilarating. And a little bit stressful.

February and March book club.
There was a quick break with a walk out in the brisk air to LaLa Books to pick up the March book club book that arrived (How to Build a Boat, by Elaine Feeney). I’m halfway through the February book (No Land to Light On, by Yara Zgheib) for the meeting next week. It’s beautifully written, but I can read it only in small doses because it’s about a tough situation. It’s set in Boston and Syria, during the time of the January 27, 2017 “Executive Order 13769 Protecting the Nation from Foreign Terrorist Entry into The United States.” It’s a little weird reading about things date-stamped seven years earlier than the same date I’m reading them. 

I wish I could take a month off to just hole up and read. It miss the summers when I was a kid – days flung on the couch with my head deep in a book. I would raid the bookcases, hijack Mom's Book of the Month Club arrivals, and supplement it all with library books. I can’t wait to retire so I can lay around and read all day, every day.

No comments:

Post a Comment