Saturday, January 13, 2024

random thoughts – Day 1,397 – (Saturday) – oil change

On Thursday, the same dashboard with the vacillating range to empty guidance also flashed the yellow genie lamp and the words “oil change needed.” It was so quick I nearly missed it, but the timing was correct, and the vehicle was, indeed, due for an oil change.

Later in the day, I decided to schedule an oil change with the dealership through their website. I like setting appointments online because then I don’t have to call and speak to anyone. It showed nothing available until March. I caved and called. Someone answered immediately and offered several times slots including Friday at 2:00, and a couple on Saturday, which were definitely better than March. While hanging up, I wondered if they knew the online appointment setter is broken. Maybe they deliberately turned it off.

It was raining lightly during the drive across town. I had a book to read in the waiting room and my phone, so the entertainment options were lined up.

The waiting room was quiet with a couple people staring at their phones. I visited the mini-fridge for a mini bottle of water, and grabbed a granola bar from the snack table. The TV in the waiting room played a sales-pitch show about kitchen ware, which was followed by a weight loss program pitch with Marie Osmond. The remote was on the snack table, but it was too far away to reach.  I didn’t care enough to change the channel, but if I’d known I would be there for an hour and a half, my opinion would have been different.

The surprise of the visit was being invited into the service bay so the service tech could show me something. It was a rusty part under the car that he said was the oil pan and should be replaced, ideally today while the oil was already all removed. Ok. Then he said the price. It would be $700. Seven hundred dollars. 

I gulped and may have blanched a few shades paler that usual. Then I snapped to my senses and asked if the current situation would last until the next oil change. The tech said yes, and told me to keep an eye on my driveway for oil spots. Ok, I can do that. And maybe I’ll start looking for a second job so I can pay for the oil pan.

As it was, the oil change and a new air filter cost $96 which was more than I expected. And they didn’t even vacuum the car like the quick change places used to do back in the olden days. Dang, I miss that car vacuuming perk. 

Back at home, I played keyboard warrior and searched on oil pans for my model vehicle. The part seems to be listed all over the place at prices from $37 and up. The mopar site lists it at $114, so $700 feels like a lot of labor charges. 

No comments:

Post a Comment