Friday, January 26, 2024

random thoughts – Day 1,410 – (Friday) – dreams and musings

The dream right before it was time to wake up was interesting. I was in a crowded house, but more like an older adult family gathering than a fun friends party. A friend I knew while in Tennessee was there, as well as another friend from Long Island from decades earlier than Tennessee. I was looking for my suitcase (I’m almost always looking for something in dreams – a missing shoe, my passport, boarding pass). Instead of finding the suitcase in the room where I thought I had left it, I found partially eaten boxes of assorted chocolates. 

Puddle corner.
And then the alarm went off and it was nothing but a dark room and the sound of rain. Ugh. No more rain. Please. Stop. A check of the basement showed it was dry except for one corner.

When it was time to leave for work, the gutter over the front door was dripping like a decorative water feature in a restaurant or hotel lobby. A puddle an inch or more deep had collected next to the front steps in the flower bed where the bleeding heart usually explodes from the space. Another had formed in front of the steps. Over at the foot of the driveway, the usual pond-sized puddle was there, just like it is every time it rains. 

The top priority home maintenance and repair list is looking like a larger capacity sump pump and new gutters. Cha-ching! Both come with questions and complications. Can’t hardly wait. Bye, bye 2024 vacation. It was nice thinking we might be a thing. Adulting is totally overrated.

Afternoon treats.
At the office, right around the point in the afternoon that I was thinking how great it would be to have something chocolatey, a tray of treats magically appeared. Ok, it wasn’t really magic, not like a Las Vegas show or anything. The beautiful reality was that the head of the department had been at a forever long meeting and returned with the tray of leftover desserts. 

Those of us in the office were blessed with chocolate frosted brownies, blond brownies, oatmeal chocolate chip cookie, coconut chocolate nut layered bars and some other thing that seemed to be dried apricots and cashews. Some days things are mostly mediocre, but turn around and improve like magic. 

The rain stopped and after work the basement was still holding steady and mostly dry. I have never been so obsessed with a mostly empty concrete room as I have the past few months with all the wet weather. I need a good, long drought so I can shift my obsession to something more fun. Almost anything will do, but it would be nice to dwell on something not costing thousands of dollars that doesn’t also include spa services and waiters bringing fancy beverages adorned with colorful fruit and little umbrellas. Is that too much to ask? Just wondering.

No comments:

Post a Comment