Tuesday, January 23, 2024

random thoughts – Day 1,407 – (Tuesday) – seasons

It was warmer today and the temperature hit the 40s. Practically bikini season. The icy snow got soft, and bits of grass could be seen in the back yard. The basement remains dry and I remain calm. The middle step out front, under the dripping gutter, is still encased in ice.

The barrage of emails from Omaha Steaks, which began around Thanksgiving, continues. Every day there is an email from the rotation of specials that are the same as the specials all through the holiday shopping season. Apparently, meat specials season lasts forever. 

Extended warranty with
no-name companies season!
The Postal mail delivered two urgent letters. One is from “2017 Jeep Renegade Latitude – Official Business” and the other from “Vehicle Services Division.” Neither has a return address, just some operating hours in the central time zone, and both requesting my response to “IMPORTANT VEHICLE PROTECTION INFORMATION.” Clearly, it’s the made up and mythical extended warranty season, which ends on either January 29 or February 7. Whew! I was worried I might have missed it. 

Sofie.
The evening entertainment is a Swedish series called Love and Anarchy, a romantic comedy television series set in the office of a publishing company. The place is headed by an indecisive and spineless "leader." It’s a departure from the dark and gritty European and Scandinavian crime dramas set in the dead of winter that I usually watch. This one seems to be set in the spring with no snow. There are some funny moments, along with some poignant ones.

Favorite line of the moment, delivered at a spa by a friend to the lead character Sofie: “…. And I started seeing a great behavioral therapist who’s taught me not to think and feel so much all the time, so any time a feeling or a thought makes me unhappy, I have a superb toolkit that helps me stop feeling everything. Now I feel nothing. Honestly, I feel nothing. It’s amazing. Do you want her number?” 

Holy hell, people pay money to feel nothing? I’ve been basically dead inside and feeling practically nothing for ages and I didn’t have to pay a cent. I have sometimes been worried about it, but now I kind of want to just move to Sweden. 

Of course, I should probably learn some Swedish first. Spanish is going well on Duolingo, Finnish frustrated me to the point of setting it aside for a while, but Swedish …. That could be fun. Maybe. We’ll see.

No comments:

Post a Comment