Wednesday, January 10, 2024

random thoughts – Day 1,394 – (Wednesday) – changing conditions

Creepy condensation.
The snow changed to rain overnight and the temperature got warmer, exactly as predicted. As I lay in bed, panicking with thoughts of a wet basement, snow slid off the roof loudly. It’s a sound I don’t remember hearing since living in an old Victorian with a slate roof. The road looked icy with water on top of the remnants of snow.  

In the morning, the porch door and the windows were all fogged over with condensation. It was a mix of cool and horror movie scene creepy. The rain continued to fall and danced on the collected puddles in the driveway and the street. 

I held my breath while descending the stairs for a quick check of the basement. There was some water, but it wasn’t too bad. Of course, after the last big rain just a couple weeks ago, it took two days after the rain before the basement took on water like the Titanic.

Morning light.
By the time I got downtown, the clouds were parting to reveal patches of blue. In one block of Merrimack, the windows on the buildings reflected the buildings across the street. Further down on Merrimack, sun shone upon St. Anne's Church and a bit further it illuminated City Hall against a backdrop of gray. 

Work started with a variety of bagels and cream cheese spreads and coffee bought with our breakfast voucher from participating in the holiday decorating contest at work. It was definitely worth the decorating task. It provided fuel for a day with a few too many potholes and speed bumps. 

There was a benefit to the aggravation. I had to get away from my desk and took a quick walk. The balmy morning had shifted to a more seasonable afternoon with chilly wind, but the change of scenery and the moving air cleared my head. Or gave me a refill. 

After work, the basement was miraculously drier than when I left. Huge relief. I’ll take it.

No comments:

Post a Comment