Thursday, January 25, 2024

random thoughts – Day 1,409 – (Thursday) – food skills

It was a pleasant Thursday. The weather was above freezing and the slab of ice on the front step was soft enough to smash and clear with no swearing required.

Work moved along smoothly. The things in my sphere of control anyway. Earlier this week, parts for three projects were sent to various departments for additional information or review and approvals so they can move to the next step under my control, so the usual waiting game is underway.

Lunch soup.

As if a decent work day wasn’t stellar enough, the food was also pretty spectacular. Lunch featured a freezer excavated homemade vegetable soup with fresh grated cheddar and kalamata bread with a schmear of butter. Oddly, I was in the mood for a biscuit to accompany the soup, but I'm not some biscuit-making Southern Belle, although I did sort-of try that for a dozen years. A slice of bread from the freezer was the best I could deliver on a quick lunch break.

Supper was inspired by an email from the preferred pizza purveyor with a “you haven’t ordered in ages, here is a 25% off coupon.” I’m not too proud to say I love a discount and took the bait. According to the shop’s “recent orders” feature, I hadn’t ordered from them since October 6. Holy moley, where does the time go? No wonder the pizza shop missed me. I used to order from them every two or three weeks. They probably thought I ran away or something. I can't even fathom that I went that long without ordering a pizza.

The order of a large cheese pizza and a Beyond Burger basket was placed via online ordering which is my favorite way to order pretty much everything because I don’t have to call and speak to anyone. And the cleared front step meant the delivery person could get to the door without breaking their neck. 

Beyond Burger basket portion
of the pizza shop "groceries."
The large supper order for one person was a strategic maneuver.  Eight slices of pizza mean many future meals are covered and can add diversity to the soup streak. Even better, I can skip the grocery store this weekend. 

The Beyond Burger came with a ton of sweet potato fries and a side salad. The burger was eaten for supper and most of the fries were saved for a future meal. The salad and a slice of pizza were set aside for Friday’s lunch. Meal planning issues are solved and a grocery trip eliminated with technology and a strategic delivery. All I had to do was tap some keys. I hoped my MBA schooling would further my career, but I never thought it would be so useful for supper logistics, leftovers planning, and strategic grocery store avoidance. 

No comments:

Post a Comment