Wednesday, November 22, 2023

random thoughts – Day 1,345 – (Wednesday) – good week

The weather forecast had mentioned snow, which happened to the west in central Massachusetts, but in Lowell it was rain. I awoke to loud weather with wind and rain slamming against the house and battering windows that usually don't get rain spattered. Wardrobe options for the day were evaluated based on waterproof footwear and built from the shoes up. Before leaving, it took a minute rifling through the coat closet to find a waterproof coat.

Indoor waterfall.
At the garage, it was another free rain situation. Water poured from the ceilings of all four levels of the garage I visited. On the nearly deserted fourth floor where I parked, it might as well have been the roof in terms of water and puddles. Even so, it still had a smaller puddle than the second floor. The numerous water features in the parking garage always amaze me, but not in the good way. Let's just say I won't be shocked if the news someday soon is about the collapse of the structure.

This was a satisfying week for work. There was finally progress on a couple things that had been stuck in a holding pattern. A couple new things were started and overall, it felt great. This may be my favorite work week in months. To make it even better, with the holiday on Thursday and a day off on Friday, it’s a four day weekend.

Also in the success column was success in taking a break from the desk. There was a walk to LaLa Books (two blocks!). The seat was reserved for Boozy Book Club in January and I got the book. Instead of rain, the air was filled with mist. Tiny droplets hung in the air.

"Time to Break Free"
by Dominique Ehrmann.
I ducked in to the New England Quilt Museum gift shop on the way back to the office because I couldn’t remember the last time I was in there. Gift shop items include jackets, scarves, knitwear, ornaments, books, and quilting supplies, but the thing that captivated my attention was a sculpture titled “Time to Break Free,” by Dominique Ehrmann. At 14 feet long and 7 feet high, this multimedia masterpiece combines Steampunk elements, expert quilting, storytelling, and incredible detail. Wow. It’s amazing, and in the good way. I want to go back and spend some more time with this one.

The traffic was easy going to and coming from the office, and even better, we got the okay to cut out a little early today. As I stood in the kitchen heating up soup, it suddenly occurred to me I could have gone to the gym. I’m so far off the gym routine that it isn’t even a thought any more.

And now it’s time to watch the moving pictures on the in-home entertainment screen while also playing woodoku and checking social media on my phone. Good times. For real. Once upon a time on the night before Thanksgiving, it was impossible to consider that there were things to do beside go out to bars to see and be seen and hang out with classmates and other characters. It turns out there are other options, including sitting quietly at home like every other night, and actually choosing it as the option. I guess this is what is called “growing up”?

No comments:

Post a Comment