Wednesday, November 1, 2023

random thoughts – Day 1,324 – (Wednesday) – chilly snap

It got chilly today. Of course, the gloves that were in my work bag when it was cold a month or so ago, had been taken out of the bag when the second and third encores of summer took the stage. The trip from the door to the car was so quick that I didn’t really notice the weather, but when I started the car, the dashboard lit up with the low tire pressure alert and the heated steering wheel and seat were automatically on.

By then, I was already in the car, and not interested in going back into the house for gloves and a hat for the walk from the garage to the building. It was a calculated decision to suck it up and take the cold. While descending the staircase in the garage I met a colleague and we walked together to the building. The conversation helped to distract from the cold. Out in central Mass, snowflakes were falling, so it could have been worse.

The day at the office passed quickly. There was a team meeting with a great conversation about the local banking competitive environment. It felt like a throwback to my days in a marketing agency and I loved it. It’s the sort of thing I expected a lot more of in this current role, but unfortunately, it’s not something I usually get to be part of.

After that, I had a webinar about use of Chat GPT in marketing which was interesting. As I logged in to the webinar site, I landed in the middle of a conversation between the presenter and the moderator. A voice with a very Southern accent was talking about being raised Baptist versus Pentacostal and another voice chimed in. The exchange was something I heard a lot of while living in Tennessee – that the Pentacostals go into the liquor store through the front door and the Baptists slip in through the back door. The two voices laughed and I rolled my eyes in the safety of a camera off and muted mic scenario.

The content of the webinar was interesting with one slightly annoying tweak. Every time someone logged into or out of the meeting there was a chime sound. Beth has joined. Sam has left. Jane has joined. Over and over. Thank goodness it was only a 30-minute presentation. And I now know a little more about AI created content.

Not done yet.
After work, I checked on the tree in the backyard neighbor’s yard. The leaves haven’t fully changed color yet, and the yard has few fallen leaves for me to deal with. For now. 

The tree makes it seem like it’s still early October but the early darkness says otherwise. Come the weekend, the clocks will be changed in the semiannual manipulation of time and it will be dark even earlier. The extra hour of sleep will be nice for that one night, but beyond that, I’m not really a fan. 

According to the forecast, Thursday will start chilly with a low of 29 degrees, but after that, it will be a few more days in the 40s and 50s. Not so bad. Could be worse. 

No comments:

Post a Comment