Wednesday, November 15, 2023

random thoughts – Day 1,338 – (Wednesday) – delicious

At work, the morning kicked off with a bang. There were donuts. Fresh, delicious, and amazing donuts from a shop in Windham, brought in by a colleague. The box lid was raised and the intoxicating donut aroma was inhaled. A glazed old fashioned beckoned unto me from a corner of the box. I resisted. It was all of three minutes before I cut that glazed donut and took one half to my desk to accompany my coffee. It was so delicious. 

After our weekly team meeting, the contents of the box were examined again. A maple frosted raised donut with sprinkles whispered my name. I cut it in half and then halved one of the halves. It was delicious. I went back for another bit. Still delicious.

By now it was lunchtime. The half of a spanakopita twirl brought from home for a light, healthy lunch was warmed in the microwave and brought to the desk. It was delicious. After lunch, the siren call of a quarter of a cream filled donut taunted me. Again, delicious.

By now, the calories were accumulating and padding my thighs and the bitter taste of disappointment in my reckless dining danced on my tastebuds like an aftertaste. It was okay. I needed to brush my teeth anyway for my afternoon dental appointment.

The updated food plan for the day was to skip supper. Totally doable.

Dental goodies.
On the ride back from the dentist with my goodie bag containing a new toothbrush, toothpaste, dental floss, and appointment card for the next cleaning, the route took me past Market Basket. It isn't hard when there is one on every block. This route involved the Fletcher Street store. 

Suddenly, I wanted a roasted chicken. Needed a roasted chicken. The last time I bought a roasted chicken was for Winston. It was August. But suddenly, I wanted roasted chicken more than any food item in ages. I stopped at the store and raced down the coffee aisle to the roasted chicken warmer. It was 6:10 and there were just two birds in the warmer and none in the rotisserie behind the deli counter. Both birds were slightly overcooked with darkened skins. I bought the one that looked the least overdone.

At home, the still warm chicken was unwrapped and l started picking at it. With my fingers, like a cave woman. Roasted broccoli was heated in the microwave to accompany the fresh, hot chicken. It was delicious. 

Tomorrow. Tomorrow I will do better. I will eat roasted chicken and vegetables and skip the junky, less healthy food. There will be no delicious donuts. Fingers crossed.

No comments:

Post a Comment