Wednesday, May 10, 2023

random thoughts – Day 1,149 – (Wednesday) – photo finish

Red lights in Lowell can be infuriating with the knuckleheads clogging the intersections and interrupting the flow of traffic. Then there are the drivers of the first car in the lane who seem to be in a daze. They contemplate life or the grocery list as they still sit there after the light turns green, seemingly unaware that the signal has turned, and none of the ten cars behind them can advance until they move.

Photos on the lawn.
There can also be entertaining moments. Today, at the big intersection at University and VFW Parkway, as the walk signal countdown ticked away and the pedestrians crossed in various directions, there was activity on the lawn of one of the north campus buildings. 

Four guys in suits stood in a loose cluster while a fifth stood near the sign in front of the building, being photographed by a guy in jeans and a red hoodie. 

As the driver of the first car in the line, I had a pretty good view of the photo action. Of course, I pulled out the phone and took obstructed view pictures of the photo shoot in process. As the light turned green, the photographer lowered his camera, and the photo subject rejoined the other suits. The five guys in nice suits began to walk away, but after a few steps they turned back quickly. 

The five scrambled into a line in front of the sign and the photographer returned to his position for a group shot. I missed that shot. I was already in motion, having been poised and waiting, foot ready to hit the gas the instant the light turned green, just like you’re supposed to do. None of this waiting around. It was one of the few moments of my day in which I felt like I was in control. 

While crossing the intersection, I imagined the drivers behind me rejoicing in my readiness and excellent intersection time management skills. 

No comments:

Post a Comment