Sunday, May 28, 2023

random thoughts – Day 1,167 – (Sunday) – cake hole

Vacation Day #4 started warm and got warmer. The day’s plan, set earlier in the week, was for a gathering at my sister’s house. The main menu was sandwiches and crockpot pulled pork, designed to eliminate the need for someone to be tending the grill and missing the chance to socialize. There was also a cheese dip with corn chips, potato chips, cole slaw, and more things I am forgetting. My sister always throws down a big spread when she has people over.

Flutophone!
My sister’s birthday is coming up and the visiting Eldest Niece and her two sisters conspired to get a cake (marble with a chocolate buttercream frosting) and give her gifts today. I gave my sister a plant, a bag of coffee, and the real star of the gift, a Flutophone, just like we had in grammar school. She immediately blasted out a quick “Three Blind Mice” which sounded pretty good after all these decades. I got one for myself, too, so we can finally start our band.

Before learning about the Nieces' birthday cake plan, there had been the idea to have a cake for the Bride to Be. There was a good amount of cake today. 

The canopy was set up in the driveway, and the table and chairs started out in the shade. As the afternoon moved along, we all scooted over and chased the shade as the sun moved across the sky.

Back at home, as I stood at the sink preparing a glass of ice water, I noticed something odd about the window. There is now a hole and a crack that extends to the upper corner of the pane. That definitely wasn’t there when I left this morning. The window cranks out and the screen is on the inside. The hole is in the outer glass pane of the dual pane window.

I looked outside on the ground and bulkhead below the window, expecting to see a rock, a ball, or a bird with a broken neck, but there were no clues about what sort of projectile caused the damage. The hole in the window looks larger than the volume of glass shards in the window track, but I’m no scientist or measurements expert. Now there is a brand new item on the top of the household to do list – window repair. 

I texted the neighbors on one side of the house to ask if they heard or saw anything weird today. They hadn’t, but they came outside and we had a conversation about the window, glass repair, and the Nuisance House theatrics of a couple nights ago. I don’t have a number for the neighbor on the other side, but hopefully I’ll see them tomorrow. I like mysteries, but not this kind, and especially not when they come with a price tag.

No comments:

Post a Comment