Wednesday, May 24, 2023

random thoughts – Day 1,163 – (Wednesday) – rough

It was a short workweek for me with Thursday and Friday booked as vacation days, but that doesn’t mean it was easy. It was three days of being hopping busy and one and a half of those days were dominated by dealing with a super annoying task that is so horrible three of us on the team rotate it. I swear if one of us had to deal every month with the aggravation of this particular task we’d have quit years ago. Or maybe that’s just me. This is the stuff they don’t tell you about in marketing classes, and this month it was my turn for the torture.

The week might not have been so bad if not for also dealing with multiple unexpected tasks that landed in my lap. About 90% of this week’s to-do list has been carried over to next week. The punishment for having time off is trying to cram a bunch of work in before the time off. Then, once back, for every one day out, it takes two days to catch up, so I'm already dreading my return next Thursday.

Shortly before the rain came.
To add to the fun, this morning, when I checked the weather forecast, I saw 77 degrees and a little sun symbol. I liked what I saw, stopped reading and closed the app, and dressed accordingly. Lunch went into my bag (frozen steamed Korean dumplings) and the umbrella came out (77 degrees! Just extra weight!), and I headed to the office in sunshine. At work, a colleague mentioned the afternoon rain the forecast. Oops. I missed that part. 

Sure enough, during the afternoon, the clouds gathered and around 5:00 they were looking kind of dark and moody, much like how I was feeling. Not long after, it began to pour. Luckily, there was an umbrella in the office for the walk to the car when I finally left, an hour later than usual. There was no carefree feeling of “I’m on vacation for the next week!” It was more of a sense of guilt over all the stuff that wasn’t finished. This is the curse I bring upon myself.

Winston was waiting patiently for me when I arrived home. Well, probably less for me per se, and more for my ability to serve the kibble and chicken. It’s good to feel needed. It's nice to have tasks that can actually be completed without having to suppress the urge to scream. Thank goodness for dogs.

No comments:

Post a Comment