Thursday, May 25, 2023

random thoughts – Day 1,164 – (Thursday) – car, book, beer

It was Vacation Day #1 and Winston and I were up at the usual hour of 6:00-ish am. There was the usual coffee, without which there is no ability to function, and the usual dog stuff. So far, so normal.

Once sufficiently caffeinated, I was headed to the Jeep dealership for a service appointment. The sunroof (sky panel in Jeep speak) hadn’t been opened since a year ago when it wierded out and wouldn’t close. It took two of us to close it – me pushing the power button and StepDad pushing the panel closed by hand. 

The malfunction broke my trust and it hadn't been opened since. I finally got around to making a service appointment, but mostly because the driver door speaker is making a weird muffled rattling sound that is thoroughly annoying.

During the drive to the dealership, as the sun shone, I opened the sky panel and closed it. It worked. Of course it did, and I wasn’t the tiniest bit surprised. It was tried again, and it worked again. On the third test, and it slowed down half way through closing and then slid back again. On subsequent efforts, it barely closed before reversing and reopening.

The car service went well. Both sky roof panels were removed and the tracks cleaned and lubed. Even better, the extended coverage package I fell for when buying the car covers the speaker, which is being replaced. The visit included an inspection and the discovery that the front sway bars need replacing, which is also covered under whatever package it is that I bought. 

The service appointment afforded the opportunity to focus on finishing the book for book club tonight. It was two hours of dedicated reading and phone Woodoku time in the quiet waiting room. I might need to schedule auto service when I need to get things done, away from the distractions of home. I’m already looking forward to the waiting room reading and relaxation time when the parts arrive and I return for the replacement.

At Boozy Book Club, we sat outside at Warp and Weft. It was a bit breezy, and except for the occasional loud motorbike and car with booming stereo, easier to hear each other talking. There were onion rings, sweet potato fries, fried pickles, and I had a Troegs Independent Brewing Mad Elf Belgian strong dark ale. Vacation, baby!

The book, The School for Good Mothers, is well written and mildly disturbing. It’s one of those dystopian tales that feels frighteningly possible. We all liked it and were all bothered by it. It was a good discussion. 

Friday, Vacation Day #2, is a family fun girl's day with Mom, my sister, and the nieces, including the one who arrived today from Las Vegas for a visit. Good times ahead.

No comments:

Post a Comment