Monday, May 15, 2023

random thoughts – Day 1,154 – (Monday) – May 15

On the afternoon of this date (May 15) in 2012, I got a ticket through StubHub to a sold out Jack White show at Ryman Auditorium that night. I had been checking for a ticket without getting my hopes up too high so I wouldn't be crushed if there were none. When I got the ticket, I contained my excitement in case it somehow fell apart. This is kind of my standard mode. 

May 15, 2012 -
before heading to a
Jack White concert.
After work that day I dashed home and changed from a work outfit to a more fun going out outfit of black skirt, black tights, boots, and an embroidered jacket from The Hip Zipper vintage shop in East Nashville. The journey began. To Nashville. Alone. This was kind of a huge deal. 

Until the night of the Jack White show, I had usually just stayed home and sulked if there was nobody to accompany me to a show. But this day, that nonsense was not getting in the way. Before pulling out of the driveway, a selfie was taken to commemorate the event. At the box office, ticket in hand, the show was finally a sure thing and I finally let myself get properly excited. 

The marriage to X2, who refused to do pretty much anything with me that I liked, really dragged me out of my shell and prepared me for my future. By the time we split up, I had become quite adept at attending small-scale local events solo. When I wasn't  expected to go fishing at 4:00 in the morning, that was a big bonus.

The seat for the Jack White show was pretty good, but most of the seats at the Ryman are good. Unfortunately, there are no photos from the show as it was prohibited. Sigh. I loved the music and had fun, but it still wasn’t as great as having someone to whom to say, “Oh I love that song,” or “Check out that outfit.” I still said those aloud, but I was the crazy one talking to myself.

Still light at 8:15 pm,
May 15, 2023.
This year, May 15 meant I went to Finnish class after work. There was no fun going out outfit, it was just what I wore working from home. Class was fun, but not quite Jack White at the Ryman fun. 

When we got out of class at 8:15, it was still quite light outside. This is the best time of year when the light hangs around later and later. I really need to get outside more in the evening.

No comments:

Post a Comment