Sunday, February 19, 2023

random truths – Day 1,069 (Sunday) – healthy injury

The wellness program at work features challenges throughout the year. The most recent challenge was to eat two servings of both fruits and vegetables for a set number of days over a set number of weeks.

I gravitate towards vegetables all year long, but it turns out I’m not that keen on fruits. The key to my success in the fruit segment of the recent challenge was bananas and cara cara oranges. If I missed eating a banana before work, one went into my bag and came with me to the office. The oranges were an evening snack, when I have the time, patience and tools to deal with peeling them.

Bowl of  potential injury?

Tonight, while peeling an orange with the assistance of the paring knife from the knife block, I sliced the pad of my left thumb. The juice from the orange stung like a … well, you know. It stung a lot. 

It started out as a cara cara orange, but by the time I got through peeling it, it was closer to being a blood orange. It's amusing that peeling a fruit that helps the body make collagen and heal wounds resulted in a little injury.

It was due to happen. The mysterious cut of unknown origin on the neighboring index finger just finally healed after days of reopening before I finally remembered there are bandages in the medicine cabinet. Once protected, it healed quickly, but I never did figure out how it happened.

As for tonight’s laceration, it was 100% avoidable. This would not have happened with a different treat. There is no way I would have cut my thumb accessing potato chips, cookies, brownies, or cake. So much for trying to eat healthier. And there are still several potential injuries in the bowl waiting to happen.

No comments:

Post a Comment