Monday, February 13, 2023

random truths – Day 1,063 (Monday) – jack white

When I lived in Clarksville, it took only about 45 minutes to get from my house to Nashville. Yes, it was pretty close, and no, I didn’t go there nearly enough. Nashville visits were usually for specific events – concerts at Ryman Auditorium, the annual Tomato Festival, the monthly Art Walk, roller derby bouts, shopping at Opry Mills Mall, and events at The Belcourt Theatre.

Blind Tiger Dames, February 12, 2010
Belcourt Theatre, Nashville.

Belcourt Theatre was (and probably still is) the site of some really cool shows. I saw Belly Dance Superstars there with belly dancer friends and we were blown away by the amazing and inspiring touring show. On February 12, 2010, I saw a show called Blind Tiger Dames there with my friend Stacy, and on February 13, photos were posted on Facebook to commemorate the night.

Blind tiger Dames was a vaudeville-type show and I remember liking the show, but very little about it. There was a ballerina dancing as if she was a music box ballerina, and that is about the end of the specific memories of particular segments. I probably only remember that because she was a ballerina. I got a photo, which helps a lot, too. 

What I do remember more clearly than the show is at some point looking around the auditorium, taking in the crowd and the ambiance, like I usually do when out somewhere. At first, it's to scope out the location of the emergency exits. Later, it's to see if any friends or acquaintances or maybe celebrities are in attendance. 

Across the aisle to the far right, near the wall and a couple rows behind ours, sat Jack White of the band The White Stripes, (and later the Raconteurs, and Dead Weather).  I was sure of it. Throughout the rest of the show, I periodically checked that it was him and he was still there. I whispered to Stacy that Jack White was in the house and hoped nobody around us heard me.

Jack White at Belcourt Theatre, 
February 12, 2010.
When the show ended and the lights came up I spun around to check for Jack White. He was wearing a black hat and standing with a group of people. A couple other people in the audience noticed him and tried to get photos, but a member of his entourage saw and stepped in to block the shot. I somehow managed to get a quick photo –  partially blocked, poorly lit, and grainy. 

We filed out of the auditorium behind Jack and his crew, and then lost him in the lobby. We headed to Stacy’s car and as we exited the parking area onto the street, Jack White drove by in a Black Mercedes. I kid you not. 

Excited, I was telling Stacy (more like yelling) to “follow that Benz, it’s Jack White!” and “change lanes, turn, turn!!” 

There was no plan of what we would do if we successfully followed him to some destination, but that next step would be dictated by the destination. If it was a club, that might be easy, we could probably go inside, but if he went home and we’d followed him to his house, that would be weird. 

It turned out it didn’t matter. It took too long for “change lanes, turn, turn!!” to be executed and we lost the black Mercedes after that first left turn, barely a block from the Belcourt. 

But we had fun. The show was great, and seeing Jack White and trying to chase him like some teenage groupies was an adventure. Dang, I miss adventuring with Stacy.

No comments:

Post a Comment