Wednesday, February 15, 2023

random truths – Day 1,065 (Wednesday) – working memories

It was 10 years ago today that I had my last day of work at my super cool marketing agency job in Tennessee, after working there for 6 years and 11 months, surrounded by talented and awesome colleagues. Our company included a full team of graphic designers, account managers, and a production manager who kept us all in line and on task. 

Award winning video project
we did in Tennessee.

I got to be part of amazing projects that included museum exhibits and video scripts sprinkled in with the bank marketing work. My client list included an iron foundry, economic development group, Civil War interpretive park and museum, and a couple banks. 

We did a wayfinding sign project for a semiconductor plant being built, and worked with local historians to research local Civil War events to create exhibits and an award winning video for a new museum. We created a video to commemorate 80 years of family ownership of a bank and several for the iron foundry, one of which chronicled 100 years of family ownership of the business. 

The projects I ended up loving the most were the ones that delivered the most panic and fear when I was first assigned to them. More than once, I wondered if my boss was nuts assigning me to visible and publicized projects like the 20-year plan for the city and the interpretive park, but those were projects where I was challenged and stretched and it was exhilarating.

I miss it. All of it. The incredible creative energy that buzzed around our wing of our small building. The research and writing. The creative meetings. The projects that could be visited and experienced by the public and the fear, panic, and then pride that came from working on them. All the learning and growth and satisfaction and pride in a job well done. Traveling to Winder, Georgia; Cleveland, Tennessee; and Hemlock, Michigan to meet with clients and to do research for projects.

Leaving Tennessee to return home to family meant leaving behind one of the best and most fulfilling chapters of my career. I just didn’t know it at the time.  At least I have the memories to keep me warm. And mementoes like the DVD of our award winning video with my name rolling in the credits at the end.

No comments:

Post a Comment