Tuesday, February 14, 2023

random truths – Day 1,064 (Tuesday) – temptation

The mail has been boring lately. A few bills. The depressing IRA balance statement. Periodically, the Val Pak arrives, stuffed with local coupons which I review, sort, save until they are past the expiration date, then throw into recycling.

Temptation in the mail.
Yesterday, the mail was more fun with an oversized postcard from ThredUp, the online thrift retailer. It pointed out that I hadn’t shopped with them recently and offered a tempting discount. 

A year ago, I bought a lightweight thermal jacket from ThredUp that has become one of my favorite coats for not so freezing weather. Two years ago, I bought an oversized knit scarf shawl thing that was warm and cozy and used for an entire winter in the home office and then forgotten about until just now. 

Trench coats in
the shopping cart.
Tonight, while browsing Facebook, a ThredUp ad was in the feed. There was a picture of a cool looking brown and aqua coat and I took the bait and clicked. That led to two hours in the ThredUp rabbit hole of looking at page after page loaded with coats. There are now four coats in my cart. Then I saw a picture of a bomber coat and that led to another little side trip down that style. There are two things that catch my eye – trench coats and bomber jackets. So, a new hole has been found in which to spiral down. 

This wouldn’t be so bad if I didn’t already have a coat closet crammed with coats. It looks like 50 people live in my house with the number of coats in the closet. Several are vintage – wool coats in cream, tan, navy, and black, and Mummu’s long tan suede coat from the 60s or 70s. No, I don’t wear those. Not lately, anyway. Some coats have specialized usage – like the ski parka, used for skiing, snow shoeing, and shoveling. There are multiple rain coats, but they are more for the warm, spring rain weather and not the usual cold, raw rainy weather.

So no, I don’t need more coats. And yes, I’ll probably be right back in that shopping cart pining over the pile of coats until it’s time for bed. It is Valentine’s Day after all, and I'm pretty sure I heard Winston say he wanted to buy me something nice.

No comments:

Post a Comment