Monday, January 30, 2023

random truths – Day 1,049 (Monday) – treasures afoot

This morning, I found a nickel in the parking spot next to mine on the fourth level of the garage. It was laying on the concrete next to a motorcycle parked in the corner motorcycle spot. Tonight, leaving work, I spotted a penny in the crack in the sidewalk.

I’m pretty good at spotting shiny things. Crowlike, even. I have a rule that once I pick something up from the ground, even if it turns out to be nothing more than a flattened nip bottle cap, it’s my responsibility to either hang on to it, or properly dispose of it.

The “hang onto it” part has resulted in a dish full of odd things found on the ground – random solo hoop earrings, various charms in both plastic and sterling silver, decorative zipper pulls. Someday they may become an art project. The coins join their currency compatriots in the glass jar holding coins.

Jesus in the stairwell.
A week and a half ago, while walking down the stairwell at the parking garage, I saw Jesus. I wasn’t sure at first, but last Monday, when I was downtown again, Jesus was still there. He was tucked in a corner of the stairwell under a drain pipe with flaking paint, nestled in some paint chips and grit. 

The second time I saw Jesus, I got proof, because I wasn’t sure who would believe me if or when I said I saw Jesus. On Wednesday, and again on Friday, Jesus still sat quietly in the corner with the drain pipe.

Today, as I came down the stairs to the street level, newly found nickel from the fourth floor in my coat pocket with my phone and access badge for the office, I noticed that Jesus was gone. Vanished. I blinked and looked again. Nope, definitely no Jesus. 

Did someone pick him up like a treasure in the same way that I picked up the nickel? Should I have picked up Jesus days ago, and why didn’t I? I may be awake all night wondering about Jesus. So many questions.

No comments:

Post a Comment