Friday, January 13, 2023

random truths – Day 1,032 (Friday) – songs and cookies

This morning’s WUML commute soundtrack featured a song in French. It had a dance beat and I could imagine being at a party or in a club where it played. My four years of high school French fled my brain long ago and I could recognize only every 20th word. The next song sounded like more of a dreamy Latin  sound, but I couldn’t be sure of anything because the artist names and song titles don’t display on my screen when listening to WUML like they do with the Emerson College station.

For a couple minutes, I sat in the car in the garage and listened to the dreamy instrumentals while willing my phone to charge faster on the car charger after finally noticing it was getting low and the charging cable was at home. I neglected to charge the phone overnight and then forgot to plug it in to charge during the ride to work, which is usually enough time to power it up to a reasonable level.

Queenly cookies.
While catching up on emails and the Facebook feed after a workday plagued by numerous pesky software issues, one message popped out. Man Ray, the Cambridge nightclub popular in the 1990s and early 2000s is coming back. There was a time when Friday and Saturday nights were designated for dancing and drinking followed by eating in late-night diners. This is not that time. 

Thanks to the wonders of technology and the Internet, while quietly dining like a queen on Italian anisette cookies and ginger probiotic tea, I pulled up the show from WUML's website. There was an archive of the entire show and I was able to learn who the artists are and hear the songs again. The first song was “Sante” by the Belgian singer Stromea, and I liked it as much the second time as the first. The other song was “Tres Hermanos” by the band Hermanos Gutierrez.

Good times. For real. Kicking back for a quiet night at home with a few minutes of some cool music and a tasty treat are about as far removed from the Man Ray nightlife scene as I can imagine. That's okay, I'm much more well rested these days.  

No comments:

Post a Comment