Monday, January 9, 2023

random truths – Day 1,028 (Monday) – alpine stress

Thanks to my previous watching of several foreign shows, mostly crime dramas, my Netflix recommendations are heavy on foreign series and movies, and by “heavy,” it’s currently about 75% of the suggestions. Weeding through selections to find an English language show to have playing while simultaneously doing other extremely important things like playing Wooduko, reading email, scrolling Facebook, and writing is becoming frustrating and time consuming. 

Curvy road in the Alps.
I prefer to run the foreign shows in their native languages with English subtitles to get the sound and pacing, so I need to be in the mood to want to read a movie under this preference. Tonight’s series is Woman of the Dead, chosen for the interesting title and brief synopsis of being about a woman who can talk to dead people and before I realized it was in German. 

The show is set in the mountains of Austria and the scenery is spectacular, but the driving scenes, with the main character usually on a Ducati or in a hearse (business vehicle), stress me out. There are frequent overhead shots of a hairpin turn near the main character’s home, which eventually expanded into a shot of a series of switchback turns, and it set me on edge, even more than the crimes happening in the series. I’ll stick to the local hills when I need a scenic drive and leave the Austrian Alps to the experts and the shows. 

No comments:

Post a Comment