Thursday, January 26, 2023

random truths – Day 1,045 (Thursday) – bones

Quinoa bowl.
Today’s lunch soup was a random container grabbed from the freezer. Through the sheer plastic container carrots and barley were seen suspended in the frozen block of brown broth. A few seconds under the running tap and the block was loosened from the container. 

The block of soup was set on the stove in the saucepan. Roasted cauliflower and broccoli florets were added before I returned to the desk and the day's to-do list. 

As the soup melted and eventually warmed, it proved to be thick. A splash of milk was added to thin the sludge-like substance, along with a dash of red hot pepper flakes to spice it up. 

After a few minutes, the soup was temperature hot, mildly spicy, and quite tasty. Like previous bowls of soup from the same batch, it was also full of small bone fragments. 

Of all the many pots of chicken bone broth made over the past year, this one particular broth took the bone part a bit too literally. Previous bowls of soup had a few bones, but today’s bowl, hopefully the last of the killer pot, had 13 bone bits of various sizes in it. As I kept picking the bone bits out and setting them aside, I wondered what would happen if I accidentally swallowed one. Winston would be of no help, so maybe I should do a Google search now in case I ever need to know.

Geez, all from one bowl. 
Thank goodness I hadn’t brought any soup from that batch to Mom. She would have thought I was trying to kill her. 

There was no interest in foraging in the cabinets to assemble food for supper and the refrigerator was leftover free. It was a delivery quinoa bowl with chicken for the win. The grilled chicken breast was choking hazard free, I didn’t have to cook, and there is enough left over for lunch. 

The slices from the pizza delivered with the quinoa bowl have been individually wrapped in foil and tucked into the freezer for future meals. Now lunches are set for a while and if I ration the chicken from the quinoa bowl for Winston's meals, I can delay visiting the grocery store this weekend. So much winning.

No comments:

Post a Comment