Tuesday, September 22, 2020

“Remoted” – Workday 130 / Day 190 (Tuesday)

Today was the day of the appliance Service Call Part Two with the part for the dishwasher door latch. I had been given a service window, the customer friendly, fan favorite, four-hour window of “8am to noon.” Some time after 9:00, as I was checking multiple computer folders in search of the ad files I clearly remembered renaming and saving just yesterday afternoon, there was a knock on the door. The dogs went nuts in accordance with the canine security protocol. Today, it was two technicians, neither of them the one from a couple weeks ago.

They approached the dishwasher, a part of the house before I bought it, and commented, “Oh, this is really old. What is this, like ten years old?” Maybe I was a bit overly sensitive, but the tone felt insulting and I felt judged.

The dogs were being pesky, but this is their home and these were new people. Had I known what time the repair crew would be arriving, the dogs would have been moved outside or to another room, but a four-hour span is pretty broad. The pups kept going over to the repair team who clearly were not enjoying it. After some cajoling, begging and one accidental swear, the boys were finally corralled out to the deck with the new front gate and new opening to the back yard. Doggy situation solved.

The repair team was busy inside the dishwasher door and almost immediately delivered the news that the part in hand isn’t the part needed. A latch had been ordered, which made sense as the latch wasn’t latching. I said it seemed too good to be true when the previous tech said it was an easy fix and a $50 part. One of today’s dudes said, “oh, yeah, that’s Steve. He’s a real know-it-all,” the other nodded in agreement and they muttered to each other a few other comments seemingly about Steve. 

Today’s revised diagnosis from the new panel of experts is that the machine needs a new door panel in the $150-$200 price range. One guy checked his little computer for part availability, said there is one in stock in black, and asked if he should order it. Every single appliance in my kitchen is white, so no, thanks, I’ll pass. They said they’d check for a white one which of course, may not exist anywhere due to the elderly status of my machine which was already pointed out. The machine is not fixed and I’m waiting on a call that may never come about a part that may not exist.

At this point, I was feeling a bit cranky. The repair team had insulted me via my “really old” machine, and seemed to enjoy slamming their colleague in front of a customer. There was disappointment in still not having an operational dishwasher, and worse, the repair team seemed to have zero interest in my situation. They seemed anxious to get out the door.

I was also miffed at being out the $149 already paid for the service call with the incorrect diagnosis, and now the actual correct part, assuming it can be located, could be as much as $200. This now comes close to the sale price of a new machine the first day I called the shop. But hey, they’ll knock $50 off the price if I end up having to buy a new one. (Which will cost another $250 to install.)

Challah and apple butter.
The repair guys left and I went outside to let the dogs back in. Two dogs had gone out, but there were zero dogs in the back yard. When I put them out via the newly accessible deck side of the house, I had forgotten the gate near the back door was open. Moose appeared quickly, but it was a few too many annoying minutes before wandering Winston re-appeared. 

After the chaotic start, the rest of the day was significantly less annoying. Later, groceries from Whole Foods arrived with a loaf of fresh challah bread and a jar of apple butter, making for a delicious evening snack. 

Not sure if all is well yet, but challah certainly made things better.

No comments:

Post a Comment