Friday, September 11, 2020

“Remoted” – Workday 123 / Day 179 (Friday)


I'm Winston. I lick strangers.
Finally, the end of the longest short workweek, and of all days, this was the afternoon with two project meetings. I hate Friday afternoon meetings. There is rarely enough time to tackle any of the new tasks that come out of them, and by Monday, there have been two glorious days of not thinking about work, so it’s like starting over. At least one of the projects has a clear target date. The other one, I don’t quite know what is happening, but the project lead seems to want to build the tasks then arrive at the launch date. Does he not know that work expands to fill the time allotted? If I built the list for my part using the ideal timelines for each task that thing would never be done. There is nothing more inspiring than a deadline. Just tell me the the target date and I'll make my part happen. Maybe that’s just me.

It was also the day of the dishwasher service call. I was thrilled to hear the guy say it was an easy fix, but that was offset by the less thrilling bit of information that the part was not in his truck and needed to be ordered. It will likely be another week before he has it and is back. The whole half hour he was sitting on the floor in front of the machine, Winston was begging for his attention by trying to lick the guy's leg. I was at my desk trying to work, trying not notice that the guy had nice calves, and also whisper yelling for Winston to “stop it” and “come here.” When nobody else is here, Winston retreats to the top of the stairs, but when anyone else is around, he acts like he is completely deprived of attention, which he demands of the unsuspecting person by licking whatever skin he can get at like a hand, ankle or a leg. 

Ginger beer and vodka,
please and thank you.
To use up the tomatoes that looked like they were bordering on freshness issues, a sauce was started with mushrooms, onion, green pepper, and chopped up Roma and Heirloom tomatoes. I thought I’d just freeze it all, because I love a nice taste of summer in the winter. Suddenly, I was adding chopped summer squash and the zucchini which I had intended to use for bread, but forgot until after it was in the pot with the tomatoes. Oops. The next thing I knew, it also had Gardein meatless meatballs in it and I was devouring a bowl of the stuff with black olives and feta cheese. It was the tastiest impromptu tossing of stuff into a pan in a while. Some rice could put it right over the top. Maybe tomorrow.

After supper it was time to kick back and relax with the newly arrived extra spicy with a slight undertone of dirt ginger beer with a little bottle of vodka found in the freezer while getting the meatballs. The freezer is like a magician’s cabinet lately. Last night I found brownies in there, tonight it was vodka. Maybe if I make a wish, tomorrow I'll find a million dollars behind a bag of vegetables. Or an ice maker, that would also be nice.

No comments:

Post a Comment