Sunday, September 13, 2020

“Remoted” – Day 181 (Sunday)


Following the concept of Sunday as a day of rest, there was a LOT of restful activity today. Some may call it wasting time or being lazy, which is also valid.

It really started last night when I stayed up until 1:30 working on the dumb puzzle while the new season of “Greenleaf” ran on the TV. This meant, of course, that I was super tired this morning. And like some kind of whack-a-doodle puzzle addict, I was right back at the table this morning, but only for about 10 hours or so. 

Today's progress.
While working on the puzzle in the quiet house, my mind was meandering all over the place. Among the random thoughts were mysteries to ponder, like the weekly appearance of the U Haul truck at the house across the street. From it, generally three to six motorcycles are unloaded and rolled into the back yard. Today it was two blues and a red. At least they arrived at 1:00 in the afternoon instead of the usual midnight.

When I finally turned on the TV for some noise to offset the tinnitus, which was especially loud, I randomly chose a home organizing show. I like decorating and organizing tips, and this show has Nashville locations, so it’s fun to see familiar sights. What is not fun is all the shrill shrieking that goes on. Dang. The greetings of the home owners is shrill. Then there is the squealing at the reveal of the newly organized pantry or closet. The tinnitus is almost preferable, and the show was almost turned off even though Reese Witherspoon’s closet, which is larger than my house, was being organized with movie and TV show costumes and awards show dresses.

I somehow hung in there for the whole season, despite the shrieking and the overly precocious children. Clear cannisters, referred to in the show as “The Product” are very popular. I love cannisters in general, but cringe at the specific idea of pouring rice into a cannister. There are a million types of rice, all with different cooking times. Once it’s dumped into a cannister, how do you know if it’s the 15-minute rice or the 45-minute? How much water is needed? That can differ, too. Dinner could be destroyed, but damn, the pantry looks like a lovely display from a general store in 1820. I’m probably doing it wrong from an aesthetic viewpoint, but if my rice lands in a cannister, it’s still in the bag so I know if it’s the Basmati, Jasmine, or the store brand plain white. There are dinners where I choose the rice solely by the cooking time.

No comments:

Post a Comment