Sunday, September 20, 2020

“Remoted” – Day 188 (Sunday)


It was another quiet day at home with minimal effort expended that demonstrates my mastery of this Sunday “day of rest” concept. A butternut squash, an acorn squash, and the seeds from both were roasted. Prime video shows were watched.  Thoughts were thought. These, along with letting the dogs outside less than usual due to their own restful, daylong napping, account for the day’s activities.

The squash roasting occurred because I was cold and the idea of a 350-degree oven was appealing. Plus, the two squashes had been sitting on the counter for several weeks and finally guilted me into action. Having no experience with acorn squash, I was curious to know about the roasted flesh of that varietal. It had an impressive number of seeds. When it came out of the oven, I had a taste and it was good. While a slice of pizza from last night’s delicious supper delivery warmed in the toaster oven, one half of the acorn squash was consumed. The butternut squash was huge, and the result is two containers of roasted squash chunks in the freezer, one in the fridge, and a small amount eaten by the dogs who also love it. Then there are the delicious, snackable, lightly salted and roasted seeds.

Roasted squashes and seeds.
The deliveries from Primo’s over the town line in Dracut have been a pandemic benefit. Each delivery has yielded multiple meals, and even though I’ve lived in the house for four years, it’s been only six months that I’ve had prepared food delivered. Yes, it’s oddly true, I never had a food delivery until March. I also rarely dined out, and even more rarely, got take out. I have a kitchen and I use it. A lot. Now, I’m living large with monthly deliveries of pizza or seafood dinners. 

Also in the luxury category, there have been fairly regular grocery deliveries. These may continue after the work from home period ends. As much as it feels like a frivolous treat, there is less impulse buying that happens when I place grocery and food orders online, and I’ve saved money as a result. Silver linings everywhere, even when it feels like decadence.

No comments:

Post a Comment