Monday, September 14, 2020

“Remoted” – Workday 124 / Day 182 (Monday)



Yo, Monday. Shower, news, puzzle, Finnish lesson, work, lunch, work. All the usual stuff. And then, I shook it up.

Today was the first day of the steps challenge through our wellness program at work. To make the step quota and earn the points, I need to average 7,000 steps a day. I signed up last week in an especially ambitious (or delusional) moment. After work, I laced up the walking sneakers and downloaded the “Map My Walk” app because the pedometer I ordered hasn’t arrived yet.

Then, I left the house on foot, phone in hand. Because Map My Walk works on GPS, it doesn’t track the steps around the house or the 5,000 daily 50-step round trip journeys to let the dogs out to the back yard. I learned of this quirk the time I used it to track the distance and steps while mowing the lawn. It registered nothing but elapsed time and the map looked like a knotted clump of thread. And I still don’t know the distance involved in mowing the lawn.

Tonight, the dogs remained in the house, as they aren’t super fans of walks. Winston hides when the leashes come out. Moose jumps and barks, and gets all hyper, then, once we’re two houses away, refuses to walk any further, thus killing the walk. For these reasons, I don’t even try any more. They barked a lot when I left, and when I came back. 

Veggie boats!
Once back home, it was reward time, also called supper. I've been slacking a bit on the dinner prep, but tonight I was the captain of veggie stuffed veggie boats handcrafted of zucchini and squash. The stuffing was a tasty mix of sauteed kale, mushroom, onion, diced tomatoes, and parmesan, Then it was puzzle time. 

While working on the puzzle, I also had a show running on Netflix called “The Social Dilemma.” Watch it, but be prepared to be disturbed. It’s a terrifying glimpse into the algorithms, psychology, and ability to shape/distort society engineered into the social networks. “If you aren’t paying for the product (social media, Google) you are the product.”

No comments:

Post a Comment