Thursday, September 10, 2020

“Remoted” Day 122 / Day 178 (Thursday)


The day was neither good nor bad. It was mostly neutral, which is an acceptable state, sometimes even desirable. It was steady busy with only mild annoyances.

Suomi!
Before work it was calm and productive with a chapter from the current book (The Indian in the Cupboard), and Finnish lessons (day 72!). After work, it’s screen time on the big Samsung. The current entertainment is Bordertown, which I saw listed as a Netflix feature a while ago and dismissed. Then, in one of the Finnish-related Facebook groups I’m in, someone mentioned it because it’s a Finn crime drama. 

Well, there you go – a chance for me to hear some “real life” conversational suomi with englanti subtitles. There is certainly nobody I know that I can attempt talking Finnish with, and it’s fun to hear the few words I know. I even have some favorite words, like “kaupunki,” which means “city” and “kysymys,” which means “question.” They are fun to say. There is a smidge of disappointment that in nine episodes they still haven’t said my favorite sentence of 72 days of lessons and reviews – “Kissa on viikinki,” which means “The cat is a Viking.” Based on its prominence early in the lessons I had assumed this to be a very important phrase.

I keep thinking about last night’s mouse between the sliding door panels that was coaxed out onto the deck and I feel a little guilty. If you guessed I lost a bit of sleep worrying about a little mouse in the dark on the deck you would be correct. It’s true, I didn’t want it in the house, but I can’t help wondering if the little critter made it to safety somewhere not in my house and is all right. It was small and kind of cute. I was born in the Chinese year of the rat, and maybe I was intended to be its queen.

Post rain pond puddle.
It rained this afternoon, which was probably guaranteed when I remembered to water the plants this morning. During the downpour, the water was deep and swirling the storm drain. After it stopped, 

there was puddle out front and little brown bunny was dining in the back yard. The puddles have been smaller since the road paving last year, which is good. The Finnish word for bunny is “pupu” which cracks me up every time I hear it because all I can think of is a Chinese restaurant PuPu Platter.

It’s amazing the ways I find to entertain and/or torque myself up. Survival tactic? Sign of complete insanity? I guess time will tell

.

No comments:

Post a Comment