Friday, July 31, 2020

“Remoted” – Workday 101 /Day 137 (Friday)


Potato flowers!
Another beautiful weather day. Working from the home office has me more aware of the weather than I can recall, and having a desk at a window allows me to enjoy it. One of my favorite office-office spaces is also the tiniest one I’ve ever had. I could extend my arms and touch the cubicle walls. But it was directly near a window, which the chair faced, and that's what made it my favorite. Later, I was moved to a much larger cubicle. It was long and narrow and oriented to face a wall with windows behind me. Definitely roomier, with amenities including a coat locker, but less great than that previous teeny, tiny cubicle with a window. So yes, I love being by a window.

Before work, I took a trip out to the deck to visit the deck plants. The mix of deliberately set plants and accidental weeds in the containers have gotten lush. The potato eyes planted on a whim have produced sturdy stalks with pretty flowers. The mint smells refreshing. The basil is filling out nicely. The weeds growing along the outside of the deck are ready to burst with yellow flowers. I want to transplant them to the outside of the new fence. Something needs to go there. 

Pretty weeds!
It’s been two weeks that the new fencing has been installed along the street edge of the yard where the neighbor sets her trash cans. This week, when the trash truck robot arms lifted the neighbor’s barrels to empty them, the cap on one of the posts popped off. It hadn’t been glued on yet, it wasn’t damaged, landed on the ground, and was safely retrieved, but it seems like a sign of the things that could come. The new fence is even set a bit further from the road than the fence it replaced. This just seems to mean the neighbor cans are even more in my yard.

So, now I’m contemplating what to put on the ground to force the cans to be further from the fence. Big rocks? Pretty weeds and flowers? Prickly plants with long lethal pointy things? Electric cattle fencing to deliver a shock when the neighbor sets the trash cans too close on Sunday for Monday pickup and again on Wednesday when they are finally collected to go home?  Time for some research.

No comments:

Post a Comment